If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need to apply for a Visa at the Consulate of France (or Embassy of France or Visa Center) of your country of residence as soon as you are admitted at IUM.
Monaco doesn’t have its own visa services; all applications go through the French consular authorities.
Important: it may take a while to get an appointment, so this is an administrative procedure that you need to start taking care of as soon as possible. Our Student Services office will be happy to guide you through this process, so don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
Which visa you apply for depends on the country where you decide to live.

Look carefully at the housing offers before deciding which visa to go for.

  • If you choose to live in Monaco, you will need to apply for a Long stay Student visa.
  • If you choose to live in France, you will need to apply for a Long Stay Visitor Visa called VLS-TS type D visitor. This visa allows you to reside in France and study in Monaco.


1. Check if you need a visa :
2. Before making an appointment with the French Consulate/Embassy, contact the Student Services office so we can give you all the information and supporting documents you will need. Bachelors’ Students: or Masters’ Students:
3. Once you have talked to one of our student services officers, locate the closest Consulate/Embassy to make an appointment.
4. There will be several documents to bring to your appointment, which will be detailed during the visa application process.
5. Upon arrival, you will have 3 months to go to the immigration office (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration – OFII) and get your passport stamped. We will help you with this step once you arrive at IUM.



Students often ask for advice and recommendations about where to live. Monaco is bordered by France on three sides and by the Mediterranean Sea on the other side.

IUM is located in the Fontvieille area of Monaco, which make the French cities of Cap d’Ail and Beausoleil popular locations for our students – within walking distance or a short bus ride. Roquebrune-Cap-Martin and, a bit further east, Menton, are also a very quick train ride away (about 10mn). If you wish to live in a bigger city in France, Nice, further west, is at only 20mns by train. More on Buses and TrainsIUM on the map


Finding a place to live is one of the first things you will need to consider.
As part of the INSEEC U group, we have a partnership with a student housing platform where landlords, and rental agencies can post their accommodation offers. IUM candidates are given the access code to the platform when their application is accepted.
Similarly we have created a private facebook group, which can also be accessed when acceptance at IUM is verified.

Tips for renting in France

  • It is recommended to pay for your accommodation through a money transfer directly from your bank, avoid third party websites.
  • Check the address of an accommodation on Google maps.
  • Do not transfer the total money amount to the accommodation provider until you see the place. You may be asked to pay several months’ rent before the entrance.
  • Always do an “état des lieux” (inventory/walkthrough), taking photos and writing down everything that is in the apartment prior to moving in, as well as the condition of each of the rooms.
  • It will be very useful to have at least one bill under your name, be it utilities, phone, renter’s insurance, etc. These documents are considered a proof of address, “justificatif de domicile”, which is frequently required to open a bank account or to subscribe to a mobile phone provider for instance.
  • In France it is mandatory to subscribe to a renter’s insurance that will cover the accommodation and your belongings in case of fire, water damage, etc. This insurance also usually comes with “Responsabilité Civile”, a personal liability insurance, which is also mandatory.



The nearest airport is Nice Côte d’Azur Airport, in France.

From there, you can reach Monaco in about 30-45mn.

  • By Bus Line 110 for 22€/person
  • By Taxi for about 90€
  • If you wish to live the Monaco experience, helicopter rides are an option:
    it will take you 7mn to get to Monaco, and costs 130€!

 Booking your flight to Nice early will ensure that you get the best prices!


The most common type of bank account is called a “compte courant”. It will be useful to have a local bank account if you need a phone/internet subscription. Several banks in the neighbouring towns of Cap d’Ail and Beausoleil count IUM students in their clients, so there are a few options available to you.
To open an account, you will need to provide:

  • ID or passport card
  • Justificatif de domicile (see tips)
  • Your housing contract (make sure your name appears in it)
  • Your Letter of Admission received from IUM
  • For minors it will be easier if you come with one legal guardian
  • Some banks will require an initial deposit but some others don’t. Make sure you check with a couple of banks first, and feel free to contact Student Services if you need any advice!


All students enrolled at IUM are required to have adequate health and personal liability coverage during their studies.

Health Insurance

All students are required to have a health insurance during their studies – “Assurance santé”. This insurance needs to cover them in Monaco and in their country of residence (France or Italy), if different from Monaco. IUM needs to keep a record of the students’ health insurances, so it is important you communicate those details to us as soon as possible.

Renter’s Insurance

For your protection, French law requires tenants to have renter’s insurance – “Assurance habitation”.This insurance covers:

  • Damage or loss of personal property (including computers and valuable items) in case of theft, fire or water damage.
  • Theft and damage to the landlord’s property or belongings and repairs for broken glass to windows or sliding doors.

You will be asked to give an estimated value of your personal property and the housing insurance price will be adjusted accordingly. Obviously, if you make a claim for theft you must obtain a police report and have evidence that your apartment has been broken into.

Personal Liability Insurance

It is also mandatory for everyone to be covered by a personal liability insurance – “Responsabilité civile”. This liability insurance is quite often included in the home insurance contract.

IUM needs to keep copies of the students’ Health and Personal Liability insurances. These documents must be given to Student Services at the latest on Orientation day. A lot of our students have taken out the Crystal Studies insurance, which offers both health and personal liability coverage. We have been working with the insurance broker Ascoma Jutheau Husson in Monaco which can provide the three above mentioned type of insurances, and the Student Services office can help you with this process if you wish to.


This is very important for all new students. During this time, you will have a formal presentation of your program by your Program Director, you will meet the members of the Student Services and the Academics offices.

This is when you will show us all the original versions of the documents you uploaded during the online application. We will also give you your student card, show you how to use all our online services, give you your class schedule, etc.

During this time there will be English placement tests for those students who need to be assessed. All staff members will be available for any questions you may have. At the end of the orientation week, we typically organize a party for all our new students withprofessors and staff. This is a nice way to start the new academic year!

For any questions about Housing, Insurance, or Visa/Residency Card, please contact the Student Services: