EU Citizen

Open Day on Campus
Home » The Experience » EU Citizen

Before Your Arrival

Where to Live?

Students often ask for advice and recommendations about where to live. France borders Monaco on three sides and the Mediterranean Sea on the other side.

IUM is in the Condamine district, the heart of the Principality, which makes the French cities of Cap d’Ail and Beausoleil popular locations for our students – within walking distance or a short bus ride. A bit further east, Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, and Menton are also a quick train ride away (about 10mn). If you wish to live in a bigger city in France, Nice, further west, is at only 20mns by train.


Finding a place to live is one of the first things you will need to consider.

As part of the INSEEC U group, we partner with a student housing platform where landlords and rental agencies can post their accommodation offers. IUM candidates are given the access to the platform when their application is accepted.

Tips for Renting in France

  • It is recommended to pay for your accommodation through a money transfer directly from your bank, avoid third-party websites.
  • Check the address of accommodation on Google maps.
  • Do not transfer the total money amount to the accommodation provider until you see the place. You may be asked to pay several months’ rent before the entrance.
  • Do an inventory/walkthrough, take photos, and write down everything in the apartment before moving in and the condition of each of the rooms.
  • It will be handy to have at least one bill under your name for utilities, phone, renter’s insurance, etc. These documents are considered a proof of address, “justificatif de domicile,” which is frequently required to open a bank account or subscribe to a mobile phone provider.
  • In France, it is mandatory to subscribe to a renter’s insurance that will cover the accommodation and your belongings in case of fire, water damage, etc. This insurance also usually comes with “Responsabilité Civile,” personal liability insurance, which is also mandatory.
Luxury resort of Villefranche sur Mer. French Riviera, Cote d’Azur, France
ma légence

Your Arrival in Monaco
Getting to Monaco

The nearest airport is Nice Côte d’Azur Airport, in France.

From there, you can reach Monaco in about 30-45mn.

  • By Bus Line 110 for 22€/person
  • By Taxi for about 90€
  • If you wish to live the Monaco experience, helicopter rides are an option:
    it will take you 7mn to get to Monaco, and costs 130€.

Opening a Bank Account

The most common type of bank account is called a “compte courant.” It will be helpful to have a local bank account if you need a phone/internet subscription. Several banks in the neighboring towns of Cap d’Ail and Beausoleil count IUM students as their clients, so there are a few options available to you.

To open an account, students will need to provide:

  • ID or passport card
  • Justificatif de domicile (see tips)
  • Housing contract (make sure your name appears in it)
  • Letter of Admission received from IUM
  • For minors, it will be easier if they come with one legal guardian.

All students enrolled at IUM are required to have adequate health and personal liability coverage during their studies.

Health Insurance

All students are required to have health insurance during their studies – “Assurance santé.” This insurance covers them in Monaco and in their country of residence (France or Italy, for example).

The European Health Insurance card (EHIC) will not cover you during your studies in Monaco.

Renter’s Insurance

French law requires tenants to have renter’s insurance – “Assurance habitation.” This insurance covers:

  • Damage or loss of personal property (including computers and valuable items) in case of theft, fire, or water damage.
  • Theft and damage to the landlord’s property or belongings and repairs for broken glass to windows or sliding doors.

The insurance rate will be proportional to the estimated value of students’ personal property.
Personal Liability Insurance

It is also mandatory for everyone to have personal liability insurance – “Responsabilité Civile.” Often this liability insurance is included in the home insurance contract.

Many of our students have taken out the Globe Partner, which offers both health and personal liability coverage.

ma légence

Orientation at IUM

The Orientation days are a significant step for all new students. During this time, students will have a formal presentation of their program by each Program Director; they will meet the Student Services Team and the Academics Offices.
Students are required to give the original versions of the documents they uploaded during the online application, and they receive the student cards, class schedule, etc.
During this time, there will be English placement tests for those students who need to be assessed.
All staff members will be available for any questions students may have.
At the end of the orientation week, we typically organize a party with professors and staff for all our new students, a great way to start the new academic year together!

For any questions about Housing, Insurance, or Visa/Residency Card, please contact the Student Services:

Updated 6 February 2024